Hannibal & Hamilcar is a card-driven political game for two players set during the Second Punic War, the epic struggle between ancient Rome and Carthage. Hannibal & Hamilcar was designed 20 years ago and is still considered one of the best two-player games ever published. This game explores a conflict that has, in many ways, defined our modern reality. It took Rome over 100 years to win the competition with Carthage and three long wars were fought in the process.
More of an asymmetrical political game than a wargame, Hannibal & Hamilcar presents a conflict between two superpowers of antiquity from a classical Clausewitzian perspective: a power only reverts to military operations when there is no other way to achieve the goal of political dominance.
This 20th Anniversary Edition of the game includes new scenarios and variants, with streamlined game mechanics.
20 Anniversary Edition of the Hannibal Rome vs Carthage features:
- A great story. Hannibal’s elephants crossing the Alps is one of the most remembered events of all time.
- Balance and tension. The game comes down to the last card played.
- Modern. Easier and faster to play than the original, graphically more appealing.
- More in the box.* Includes an additional standalone game: Hamilcar! And, more...!
Hannibal & Hamilcar's awards:
- Golden Geek Best 2-Player Board Game Award
- Golden Geek Best Wargame Award
*Includes an additional standalone game!
The long-awaited Hamilcar companion game is also included in this Anniversary Edition.
Hamilcar, which is set during the First Punic War, is a stand-alone game using similar mechanics. It introduces a naval system and exciting naval battles. Both players compete for control of the Mediterranean Sea, in a conflict which will be described as the first war between an elephant and a whale – the struggle of a land-based empire versus the world’s naval power. Rome’s goal was to break through the island chain of Sicily, Corsica, and Sardinia – Carthage’s defensive line to contain Rome on the Italian peninsula.